Friday 1 November 2013

Silos in S6 and S9

============================
Edit 18/05/2014: A few of the items in this post aren't correct. I pondered correcting and just resubmitting, but might just start again. At the bottom of this post, I'll place ideas for you to correct your layout if you followed this already. Apologies for any inconvenience
============================

There's a very spacious looking piece of real estate around the border of Sector 6 and Sector 9 that I've been asked to look at for Silo placements.
Despite it's appearance, it took a while to find something I was happy with, but finally I offer the below.

This is how I've laid out my grid for the area. The lines indicated by the arrows are important as they link up some trees to ensure you're buildings go snugly around them without wasting space.


Now, for this layout I've tried to maximise how may silos/farms I can make fit to a single storehouse and field, so positioned them like this. Offsetting the field to the storehouse helps to keep as many squares as possible close to one of the desired locations.
The numbers below represent the total talking time for the mapped out squares.

You will be able to disregard the bottom row entirely as being a little too far to walk if you'd like, I'll be setting one of the 68's and 76's as Silos, and the other pair as Farms, so dropping them won't alter the final result.

For a fairly stylish layout, if you present the buildings like this (where of course S's are for Silos, and F's are for Farms):
The total walk time for the farms is 640 seconds, and the same for the silos, giving an average walk time per building of 53.33 seconds. If you elected to drop the bottom row the average reduces to 49.6 seconds.

===============================================
Now for the corrections.
If, you had already swapped the outlying farm and silo like mentioned from the comments (which does improve the timing a little) like so:
I want you to now swap the farm and silo from the top row highlighted here to fix the rest of the imbalance (image also shows your final layout):

The imbalance on this map occurred from a few of the inner buildings getting in the way of pathing for some of the outlying buildings, and since I hadn't placed the inner buildings during the testing for this one, they went unnoticed. More of an issue for large layouts like this one with more places for things to get in the way.
I believe it should now be sorted though, I placed wells all through the inner squares to mimic accurate pathing for the placement of the outer buildings.

8 comments:

  1. Many thanks for your suggestion. Its quite a big amount of silos needed but I will manage it with the time. I will probably erase that bottom line since i have there some nobles. Once again thanks for your solution in this area. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you try to make 2 clusters in that space? That way would cut down the time of some buildings and make a better production but I guess maybe there isnt enough space for that..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked, and the space didn't really seem to suit it. It generally looked like if it was an extra row across or down, it could probably work, but with what we have to work with it was a bit ordinary.

      Delete
  3. This may have been addressed already, but I noticed that the wheatfield was depleting with this arrangement, slowly, but surely. I've rechecked to see if I built it correctly and my placement matched this to a tee. I've solved this problem by exchanging the outsider pair of farm and silo - the ones outside the "rectangle" (60s ones) for one another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness, you're quite right. The top 60 (silo) would be 60 on it's own, BUT, the 44 second silo just next to it gets in the way, so that 60 second walk is actually 68 seconds, throwing the whole thing out ever so slightly.
      Good catch, will need to correct that.

      Delete
    2. Even switching the two outlying pair of farm and silo doesn't tip the balance. My wheatfield is still running out every so slowly. Could you re-examine the math for this setup?

      Delete
    3. Spent quite a while on it tonight, and have a second building swap you can make included at the bottom of the post.
      I placed a number of wells through the inner layers on this map and it turns out 2 more of the outer buildings I had incorrect timings for, slowing the silos down a tiny bit too much for them to keep up with the farms.

      Make the additional swap, and the scales will finally tip, with an the farms averaging 6152 wheat per day, and the silos filling 6156 (balance achieved).

      Delete